The last addition to the current Bed and Breakfast enclave was the Rosenwald School in 2006. The owners worked with the National Trust for Historic Preservation to identify the school as the Wellmann School which originally set to the west of Washington, Texas in Washington County; about 20 minutes to the northeast of the current location. Prior to reaching its destination at Wakefield Farms, the school was moved to the town of Washington where it sat just behind the U. S. Post Office. When purchased from the, then, owner, a Bluebonnet Electric Magazine accompanied the school which began the identification of the school.
This school was built in ca. 1924 as part of a grander plan to proliferate schools for black children throughout the South during segregation. The name "Rosenwald School" comes from Julius Rosenwald, the partner of John Sears of Sears, Roebuck & Co. Julius partnered with Booker T. Washington and the Tuskeegee Institute and they designed the grand plan which resulted in the building of over 5400 schools from the Carolinas out to Texas. With desegregation, many schools were destroyed, lost or transformed/repurposed for other uses. In 2002, The National Trust for Historic Preservation put the "Rosenwald Initiative" on its 11 Most Endangered List.
This Rosenwald School is a Two-Teacher, East/West Facing design and sets accordingly at its place here at Wakefield Farms.
"The Story of the Lost Schoolhouses," Southern Living Magazine; August, 2009, pgs. 102-109.
National Register of Historical Places Website: Rosenwald Initiative